The Big Picture
DecidingToBeBetter helps you to become the best human being possible, and gives you a platform to make positive changes in your community and our world as a whole. The ultimate goal of DecidingToBeBetter is to be a force for self-improvement, goodness and togetherness that helps humanity to eliminate evil. See the goals page for details.
DecidingToBeBetter: A force for self-improvement, goodness and togetherness that helps humanity to eliminate evil
What would you like to do today?
- Would you like to make your life better or start solving a specific problem in your life today? Click here
- Would you like to understand what it means to be a good person? Click here and here
- Would you like to explore the most important factor in happiness? Click here
- Would you like to discover how to make your life more meaningful? Click here
- Would you like to start making our world a better place today? Click here
- Would you like to learn about the goals of D2BB? Click here
- Would you like to join D2BB and become a member? It is easy to join today - Click here
One of Socrates' most famous quotes is, "The unexamined life is not worth living." So imagine that you sit down one day and really examine your life. You take the time to look at every aspect of it... your relationships with your family and friends, your career, your finances, your education, your personality, your character, your health, your fitness, your charity, your politics, your causes, your hobbies, your sexuality, your virtues, your vices... You try to understand the things that make you happy and the things that displease you; the things that cause you to smile and the things that just aren't working; the things that bring joy and the things that bring terror in your life... You look at everything. You form a complete picture of yourself. Perhaps this is the first time you have ever looked at yourself as a whole.
What do you see? Do you like the picture? Are you pleased with the person you have become? Are their places that you would like to improve?
You might ask yourself: How can I make my life better? How can I be a better person? There are several aspects to consider:
As part of your self-examination process, you might find yourself asking questions like these: How can my life be more fulfilling? What would give my life more meaning? What would make me happy, and how can I be happier?
- How can I be a better person, as in fixing problems in life that are holding me back or that don't fit with my mental image of myself? For example, you might want to lose weight, get in shape, improve your finances, stop smoking, eliminate a bad habit, etc. The Ten Steps can be extremely helpful in reaching your goals.
- How can I be a better person, as in learning new things and adding new abilities to my life? It could be something big like changing your career or getting a college degree. Or it could be something simpler, like starting a new hobby, learning a new skill or visiting a new place. For example, if you have always dreamed of starting a new business, this page might help.
- How can I be a better person, as in meeting new people and making new friends? Friends enrich and enhance your life, and you can enrich their lives with your experiences. See this page for ideas.
- How can I be a better person, as in living a meaningful life? This page will help.
- How can I be a better person, as in being a good person? A good person is someone who is living an ethical life and frequently includes the idea of helping others.
Chances are that you are doing great in some areas, not so great in others. That's true of all of us. But what if you want to take the next step? What if you want to change things for the better? What if you want to bring real improvement into your life?
One easy way is to work toward being better on your own. DecidingToBeBetter can help you take great strides as an individual. Another way is to work together with others toward common goals.
The Power of Community
What if there were a community of people who get together on a regular basis to make their lives better - to become better human beings? Their goal is to be better in their own lives, and also to improve things for others as well. You go to one of their gathering places, either online or in your local area, and you are amazed at how inviting and together these people are. They are some of the nicest, most ethical people you have ever met. And they are all working in different ways to make their lives better.
Some of them have decided that they are tired of being fat, and they are working as a group to fix the problem. Some of them are tired of always being in debt, and they are taking a class in how to get their finances under control. Some of them are working on becoming better human beings by becoming better spouses, or better parents. Many talk openly about their values and their personal efforts to become more honest, more generous and so on. They all seem to have a well-defined purpose and understand the meaning of life.
As you get to know the people, you find out that there is another aspect that is incredibly interesting. Many of the members are working on projects in the community as well, actually making a difference by making the community better in real, tangible ways. Some of the projects are small, some quite extensive. For example:
- One member is leading a class where 500 people meet weekly at a local auditorium. Through this class, more than a thousand people in the community have gotten their weights under control. Several people with Type 2 diabetes have been able to get off their medications. A number of people with high blood pressure have been able to get their blood pressure under control. In other words, people not only look and feel better, but the class is having tangible medical effects as well.
- Another group of members has started a food bank to help people who became unemployed in the downturn. And there's a job training effort to help unemployed people in the area connect with new jobs.
- Several of the members are working on starting a new business so that they can begin creating jobs directly for themselves and others.
- There's a big group that volunteers to create an incredibly well-organized soccer program for their own kids, and also for kids in the community.
- There's a group that runs a shuttle service so people can share rides to work.
- A group is creating a website that will help connect inner-city kids from broken homes with mentors.
It is an amazing collection of people that is incredibly friendly and open, and they are happy to welcome you into the group. They talk openly about the things they are working on in their own lives, and the projects they are working on to make the world a better place. You start attending one of the classes, and you are just stunned at how fun, interesting and effective it is. You are also stunned by the overall goodness of it all, and the way that you feel so welcomed. The idea of a bunch of people working together to be better personally, and to make the world a better place, just feels right.
Welcome to DecidingToBeBetter! This web site will help you to learn about the goals and dreams of DecidingToBeBetter, and find out how you can get started becoming a better human being yourself - the best human being possible.
About the Logo
The logo represents DecidingToBeBetter's goal of helping individuals, communities, nations and the world to be better; to become the best they can be.
Imagine the ideal friend - the kind of person you love to spend time with, as described on this page. Now imagine a whole community of people like that, working together to help each other and to improve their communities and the world. The people who you meet at DecidingToBeBetter are friendly, trustworthy, kind, happy, modest, honest and helpful. They are people of high integrity and high values - people you can really trust, and people who are fun to be around. They work together in face-to-face and electronic communities because they enjoy being in each other's company and spending time together.
Would you like to learn more? These pages can help: